Sunday, March 12, 2006

In snowbound forever...

DonKay usually shies from the spotlight, but in this particular instance we can hold our heads high. Carl Kowanachuk usually sends in self-unmaking proverbs culled from his life experience. The Heraclitean vein of DonKay, as you might imagine, qualifies as an artery and then a vein again, and then an artery. Anyway on holidays he sends us a really nice woodcarving. Anyway, about the spotlight, if you're thinking that his name rings a bell, its only because Carl and his story are one of the best loved tales in the cultural history of Canada's 1970's, reaching news tickers worldwide. On this the 32nd aniversary of the day (one the Kowanachuks also celebrate,) we thought we'd give it to you in terms of the original submission.

I'd been working at the hospital six months when I got the call to drive Darla home. She'd been parapalegic two years, one of the victims of the Maw Boys, and had finished a check up when I got the call to pick her up out front. I remember my first impressions were that she was the same mix of grit and glamour as her brown-yellow hair. I took Van 7 on account of its snow tires, and we started off into a blizzard that was kicking up that day. Now she lived a fair bit out there in the country, as I did, and just as we were cresting big Meier's hill I had to steer quick and the van slid off into a ditch and wouldn't go no more. I did my cursing, then started to tell Darla to hang tight while I walked a few miles to the nearest house.

But Darla said 'Fuck waitin'.The she pointed to some cross country skis in the back of the van left there from a employee outing. I said good idea, and tried to get me some boots to fit bindings. When I was getting close, Darla said, ok, now how bout mine? She basically beat me to death with her words and her looks and even her fists until I tied one to each of her knees, and some kid ones to her hands which she said she could steer by. And by god it was scary, but the hill was long and flat as a bunny, now that I looked at it from a skiing perspective. So we made it down that long decline of Meier's road without too much fuss . As you know, Mr Meier (of 7,033 Sunsets Herein Described fame) lives at the hill's base, and we had to knock on his door, having left her chair up with the van. Irma Meier opened up, and though I'd never met them, she was extremely kind. They had the same kind of dogs that I grew up with, the queen's dogs, so we chatted on that, and then we called her husband down. Now Darla's place was only a half mile away, across flat land and Mr. Meier was going to try to drive it. But then Darla caught sight of a wheelbarrow in the yard and with a flick of her cheek said to me- you think you can do me in that one? I almost fell to my knees right there. I lifted her up, and she never took that look of hers off my face. We weren't half way there by the time I proposed holy matrimony, and thats how it happened to me.