Thursday, July 21, 2005

You remind me of a West Side...

Eddie here came by and "fixed" our phones with his cousin, who can't hit the coffee cup with a spout of sugar. He sent this one in way back in 61, when he was chasing girls not to far from here...


Why is it every time you walk down the street everybody ask you the same question? Sure its got something to do with you’re wearing a jacket with a name on it, and that our name is a name that people gonna ask about. Still, ain’t it just right that when people ask about our name, which is just lettas, it evokes the same exact sentiment that our name is naming? That’s why its our name.
Everybody asks, 'Why ya The Bitter Boys?’ -and pow- already we bitta. Already we wearin the jacket ya asked about, jackass. Maybe its betta then I tell about the day we bought the jackets, at least that day was different.
So yeah, me and the fellas walked down to Sal's jacket shop on Sadaday and said we were ready to get our gang's jacket. The name was already decided. So was the colors. One look on the street it was obvious we wasn't going to be blue, wit yella lettas; or red, I mean maroon, with silva lettas. Obvious we was gonna be blue, a light blue, wit navy blue lettas. That’s the option that was for us. But Sal said “Thats just strange. That’s strange, boys. I don't know if I can make those jackets for ya. Light blue shows dirt. An I don't like ya name much neitha.”

I thought to myself, boy Sal, ya looking old. Ya face is shaking and so is ya neckskin as ya shake ya head no.

So real nice I says, "Listen Sal, you know me. I was in the lions in the fifth grade. Red wit gold lettas, just like the lions dat graduated 5 yeas before me, wit Jimmy Roma, memba? Red and gold- that’s lions colors, right? But I heard down at Saint Luscius they think lions oughta be blue with gold lettas. Now maybe thats cause they by the wata, or cause they see the sunny sky glint off the chrysla buildin when they walking to the subway. I don't know that Sal. I can't account for that. What I do know is that I need light blue jackets with navy blue lettas. Thats my idea that come to me. Thats my true colors Sal, ya eva hoid a that? Its true colors.

I looked at the fellas and they was all mealy faced. Like, I knew the colors was my idea, but they liked it too. Looking at them now though it seemed like they would rather have a more normal color, with normaler lettas, insteada watch Sal sputta like a jacket-maka outta gas. I myself, I coulda spit. They saw I coulda spit and made they faces up a little better. They rememba'd we was young, an that these was our jackets. So I turn back to Sal and I say "Whats it gonna be Sally, can ya bring yaself to sew dark blue lettas ona light blue jacket?"

Of course he did it, he had to do it. It was 7 bucks each. I thought maybe that’s the difference with old guys, that they shake a little like a car with bad brakes before taking the one path the world left ‘em. Us kids we just know what we got to do, and we forget about who does the choosin.